How To Make The Perfect Shredded Chicken and Chicken Broth At Home
Life can be easier and better by having options. For those who love spending time in the kitchen to make delicious and healthy food for their families like you and me, having one or two versatile ingredients on hand could give us so many options to make delicious meals happen in a snap!
Without doubt, shredded chicken is one of those magic ingredients.
The question is how you can make the perfect shredded chicken at home quickly without buying a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store, plus produce a good amount of nicely flavored chicken broth along the way.
Inspired by my friend Suzanne at the Mexico Entrepreneur Retreat, I discovered this one-stone-two-birds way that I can’t wait to share with you!
Am I going to boil chicken in water like you normally do? Indeed, my friend, in water but with onion, ginger, bay leaves and salt all together. The spices will bring a great flavor to our chicken. As it’s boiling, it forms a fantastic chicken broth simultaneously.
While we have the flavor locked down, chicken texture is another important factor we should keep in mind in order to make it perfect. Both chicken breasts and chicken tenders could be our choices. However, boiling chicken with bones and skins makes the meat extraordinarily tender. The skin helps to keep chicken juicy and the bones carry out more flavor easily. That being said, chicken thighs or wings are strongly recommended. If you want to make a huge amount, go ahead to grab a whole chicken. Prepare more time to cook it through.
With these two factors in mind, you are all set for making a few cups of shredded chicken and a few quarts of chicken broth at once. Now let’s plan what to do with your incredibly versatile shredded chicken.
- Stuff it in your tacos. Make a salsa with the chicken broth and sauté some vegetables or chop up some onions and cilantros as part of the filling. You are good to go!
- Bake your Chicken Margherita Tostada Pizza with it.
- Combine vegetables of your choice, cooked noodles and shredded chicken in a bowl. Stir in some mayo to make a chicken salad.
- Shredded chicken and chicken broth are great with Ramen and other noodle recipes like Shanghai Cold Noodle with Peanut Butter Sauce.
- …and chicken chimichangas, chicken tortilla soup, chicken sandwiches, chicken burgers, and much more…
How do you make your shredded chicken and what do you do with it? I would love to hear your ideas!Print
A practical tip to make the perfect shredded chicken at home quickly and produce a good amount of nicely flavored chicken broth along the way!
- 2.5 lbs chicken thigh, with skin and bones
- 0.5 oz butter
- 1 cup onion, roughly sliced
- 0.5 oz fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter and then sauté onion over high heat until translucent.
- Add ginger, bay leaves, chicken into the pan and fill it up with water. Make sure the chicken is completely covered by water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes with cover or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. The chicken is done when there is no pink coloring and the meat comes off easily from the bone.
- Remove chicken from pan to allow cool. Discard onion, bay leaves and ginger. To make this step easy, use a colander to separate all the ingredients from chicken broth. Pick out onion, bay leaves and ginger from there.
- When the chicken is cool, shred it with your fingers as you pick it off the bone. The skin can be easily removed. Simply tear the meat into stripes.
- Store shredded chicken and chicken broth separately in your fridge (up to 3 days) or freeze them for later.
Keywords: shredded chicken