Tacos are must-eats in Mexico, especially street tacos! Those are definitely life-changing stuff. The type that you crave before eating; you are wordless when eating; you can’t stop talking about it after eating; and you get up a few times at night to keep the toilet busy, but you go straight back to have some more the next day…
I am not kidding because we are real live examples. We knew that going back was probably risky and stupid but it was SO worth it! At that moment, I realized that we were not leaving Mexico without building an intimate relationship with tacos – making life-changing tacos at home anytime!
After picking my friend Suzanne’s brain on how to make Mexican Salsas and tacos, I couldn’t wait to try everything out as soon as we were back. Now I am proud to report that my relationship with authentic tacos is well established and these tacos are just as good as street tacos in Mexico! If not, better! Of course, the sanitary issue is absolutely out of the picture. 😛
I am not going to describe how delicious these tacos are. Instead, I am going to leave it for you to experience. However, I do want to point out one thing about this recipe – the flexibility!
#1 Although what you see are fish tacos, you can totally substitute fish with beef, chicken or shrimp. All you need to do is to brown the meat or cook the shrimp and add a pinch of salt.
#2 You say you are a vegetarian? Omit the seafood or meat then. I promise that you are going to love these!
#3 I have prepared three different taco sauces for ya. Pick one or enjoy them one by one with the tacos.
#4 Use corn tortillas to keep it gluten free.
Ladies and gentlemen, shall we?
Easy Tacos Recipe
- Yield: 10 tacos 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 large Halibut fillet (or Mahi Mahi)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can black beans2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 white zucchinis, diced (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups oaxaca cheese, shredded (or Mozzarella)
- 1 oz butter
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 10 corn tortillas
- Green Salsa
- 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap it up with Aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat up black beans over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, chop all the veggies and shred cheese.
- In a sauté pan, melt butter over high heat. Add onion and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and zucchinis. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1/2 tsp salt into the pan and stir a couple times. Cover to cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and turn off the heat. Taste and add more salt if desire.
- In a large non-stick skillet, warm up tortillas with a few shreds of cheese in the center of each tortilla over high heat until the cheese starts melting. Fold each tortilla and heat each side for a few more seconds. Stack up the warm tortillas and wrap with a cloth to keep warm.
- Dish veggies, black beans, and fish separately.
- Open up one tortilla. Place a scoop of black beans and a scoop of veggies on top of the cheese in the center. Add two or three fish chucks by breaking it with a fork. Garnish with cilantro, drizzle with green salsa and lime juice. Wrap up the goodies and ENJOY!
Keywords: easy tacos