Most of the Asian food is really easy to make. The big picture looks like this. You get ingredients ready, prepare a sauce, and then combine the ingredients with the sauce. Either it’s a main stir-fried dish, or a simple vegetable, it usually falls back into the big picture.
What’s the secret of making delicious Asian food? THE SAUCE!
Once you secure the perfect combination of the sauce, making Asian food is just a piece of cake.
From time to time, I turn my kitchen into a scientific lab with bottles of sauces and spices on the kitchen counter. I would stand there for hours to focus on adding stuff into a small bowl until the perfect “chemical reaction” occurs! Just like the sauce for today’s Rainbow Chicken Salad. OMG! It’s MAGIC!
With oyster sauce and red chili paste as two main items for the ultimate sauce, sesame oil and brown sugar perfectly lighten up the flavor to make the chicken salad taste as good as it looks – like a rainbow!
In terms of cooking process, if you have some pre-made shredded chicken available in your fridge, this is one of many situations that you are going to find it so handy. You are welcome!
This Rainbow Chicken Salad can be a wonderful appetizer that feeds a big family. I also love having it as my main meal.
It offers plenty of vitamins from a variety of vegetables, carbs from rice noodle, protein from chicken. Not to mention that it looks absolutely delightful and tastes amazingly good with the sauce. Most importantly, it’s darn healthy! What’s not to love? Seriously!
Hope you enjoy this easy recipe! Until next time…Print
Rainbow Chicken Salad
- Category: Salads / Sides
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 5 oz package of spring mix
- 1 bunch of wide rice noodle
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup celery, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, thinly shredded
- 1 stalk green onion, shredded
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced almonds and white sesame seeds for topping
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Cook noodles according to the package instruction. Drain and rinse with cold water, then drain again.
- In a small saucepan, cover eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 more minutes over high heat and remove from heat.
- In the meanwhile, chop the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Rinse cooked eggs with cold water. Peeling gets easy this way. Slice the peeled eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl (I used my largest baking dish), combine all ingredients together and pour the sauce into the bowl. Mix well, then dish out.
- Sprinkle some freshly ground pepper. Top with sliced almonds and white sesame seeds. Serve!
- Serving Size: 6-8
Keywords: chicken salad