30-min chicken soup recipe loaded with vegetables. Add some noodles to transform it into a hearty chicken noodle soup. A slow cooker recipe is included.
When the weather is cold or you are feeling under the weather, nothing beats a good and nutritious homemade chicken soup.
This savory soup recipe was an inspiration from our Kauai trip in 2017. An old friend relocated from California to Hawaii. When we visited her, she made a chicken soup with my favorite bone broth, which I had introduced to her a while back. Oh boy! That was the best soup I had had in a long time.
So naturally, I had to remake it at home.
The base of this savory soup is similar to a Chicken Tortilla Soup, but much better because of the added chicken bone broth, red salsa, and salsa verde. This combination totally changes the game! The chicken soup base is so rich in flavor and offers a perfect consistency, making it the best chicken soup yet. If you like spicy, you can easily tune the heat up by choosing a medium or even hot salsa.
I prefer to load up my soup with a variety of vegetables. Other than the veggies listed in the recipe below, cauliflowers, broccoli, sweet peas are all good choices as well.
Depending on your preference, you can choose to add some noodles to the soup without cooking the noodles separately. Just drop them in the boiling soup base to cook with the vegetables. Boom! You’ve got a wonderful homemade chicken noodle soup. So easy!
This is a great recipe to use up some leftover chicken. But if you don’t have chicken on hand, follow the same instructions and skip the chicken for a delicious vegetable soup! The best part is that you can also make this chicken soup recipe in a slow cooker. Find the details below. More healthy recipes to come.
One-Pot Chicken Soup Recipe w/ or w/o Noodles
One-Pot chicken soup recipe loaded with vegetables. Add some noodles to transform it into a hearty chicken noodle soup. A slow cooker recipe is included.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Soup, Gluten Free
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- Kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups red salsa
- 2 cups green salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces egg noodles (optional)
- 4 cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded or cut into bite-size pieces
- fresh cilantro and lime wedges for serving
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots, followed by a pinch of salt. Sauté until the onions are translucent and the carrots start getting soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add celery, bell pepper, and mushrooms in the pot. Pour chicken bone broth over the vegetables and stir in red salsa and green salsa. (If you’ve made our Mexican rice, you may substitute the preserved tomato and onion mixture for the red salsa.) Add dried basil and mix.
- Without Noodles: Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. With Noodles: Bring to a boil, add noodles and cook on high heat for 8-10 minutes until the noodles are tender. The vegetables should be soft by then.
- Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken and allow the chicken to heat through, stirring occasionally. Taste, add more salt if desired.
- Remove from heat. Dish and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts were calculated without egg noodles.
- FOR A SLOW COOKER VERSION:
- Instead of using cooked chicken, season 4 raw skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place at the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add onions, carrots, garlic, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, broth and salsa in the slow cooker. Drop a bay leaf and a few black peppercorns. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- If using noodles, add them in 30 minutes before the chicken soup is done. Uncover, shred the chicken breast meat with two forks. Taste and add more salt if desired. Dish and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 573
- Sugar: 17.6g
- Sodium: 2332.7mg
- Fat: 43.4g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1g
- Carbohydrates: 29.2g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Cholesterol: 91.7mg