Remember I promised you that I would start making cooking videos in 2016 at the beginning of this year? I didn’t give you a timeline, did I? That means no deadline for myself. Even though this is something I think about on the back of my head every time I press the shutter button of my camera, which happens on a daily basis, I believed that I’d need a studio set up to do the filming when we move to Austin; I’d need all these high-tech equipment; I’d need to take an online course to learn how to do it. So I purposely let other stuff take the priority seat to pretend that I wasn’t procrastinating…
Until our best friend shipped me a portable stove from San Francisco with a note that says “Is this helpful to you?”
Oh my gosh! Of course!
The thoughtful gift was a wake-up call.
What I thought I needed to make videos are all bullsh*t excuses. Looking around, I have all the basics in place to make this happen – a camera, a tripod, nature lighting, and now a portable stove that can be placed anywhere I want.
So this happened.
Background music by Purple Planet
This video was shot with my Nikon D90, the same camera I use for photographing. It was set up over my head on a tripod where I had to climb up and down a step stool to turn it on and off. No one was looking at the camera while I was cooking. As a result, the video was not flawless in terms of lighting and subject placement. Some of the shots weren’t even focused.
I debated if I wanted to share this imperfect cooking video with you. Maybe I should get better first before showing anything to you. Looking back, you’ve been with me on this creative journey for over two years and you’ve been so accepting of my work. I really appreciate it. After all, whatever we do, the only way to get better is to practice, practice and practice.
If you agree, I’d like to take you with me on this new video making adventure. Feel free to criticize or to encourage me. Either way, it will be helpful for me to put out better content for you to enjoy.
That said, I am SO EXCITED to announce that our YouTube channel is now available! It’s under the name of DelishPlan, a new brand with a new mission that Han and I have been working on. Big things are happening here and it’s only going to be better. I promise! We will have more details to share when things are more organized. In the meanwhile, don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and enjoy this Spicy Seafood Combo.Print
Spicy Seafood Combo
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Asian
- 12 ounce large shrimp (31–40 counts), peeled and deveined
- 6 ounce sea scallops, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 0.3 ounce fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 stem green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai roasted red chili paste
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Thaw and rinse shrimp and scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Lightly season with salt and black pepper. Stir well and set aside. In the meanwhile, chop herbs and vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until simmering.
- Add ginger, garlic, green onion and red chili flakes in the skillet. Sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Stir in Thai red chili paste and mix with the herbs.
- Place all vegetables in the skillet and sauté for a minute, then add the seafood; sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper; continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink and the vegetables are tender but still crunchy.
- Serve over rice or quinoa. Enjoy!
You can find the Thai roasted red chili paste in the “Ethnic/International Foods” section in any major grocery store or an Asian market. It’s mild and has a nice sweet flavor. I like using it for seafood and chicken. By the way, it’s gluten free.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 446
- Sugar: 11.8g
- Sodium: 816.8mg
- Fat: 19.3g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2g
- Protein: 48.3g
- Cholesterol: 200.1mg
Keywords: seafood combo