When I moved to San Francisco from Shanghai last year, Han educated me a lot about the US culture including how stuff works here, people’s mindset, what to do and what not to do, etc. Believe it or not, ice cream sandwich was part of the education!
Just like garbage disposal (this amazing thing does not exist in China), the phrase of ice cream sandwich was brand new to me as well. Surprisingly knowing that I had no idea of what it was, Han excitedly took me to the Whole Foods Market, where I learned plenty of new ingredients and had a taste of ice cream sandwich for the first time in my life.
Was cookie new to me? NO! Was ice cream new to me? Of course not! Who thought of the idea of putting ice cream between two cookies and eating it? Whoever that was is a GENIUS! It just didn’t occur to me that ice cream sandwich was just as simple as it sounded until I bit on one.
After eating many many ice cream sandwiches, one day, something crossed my mind – what if I make my own ice cream sandwich so that I get to choose my favorite flavor of ice cream or even pick two or more flavors! My eyes got widened for a second, then I put myself to work on the recipe immediately afterwards.
Today, I am so excited to share the result with you – an ice cream sandwich cake that requires no baking at all!
For the ice cream part, please go crazy! Pick whatever you want. It can’t go wrong with the “cookie” part which is absolutely amazing! Let me explain by spelling out the ingredients.
When PEANUT BUTTER meets CORN SYRUP, it turns sweet and sticky. Not a great combination? Wait for it. Then you stir in RICE KRISPIES and sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon, now we are talking about fabulous!
Divid the mixture into two even portions and flatten out through the bottom of 2 9″ round cake pans. After sitting in the freezer for 15 minutes, the two sides of the cookie part become perfectly firm for sandwiching ice cream. All that left for you to do is just to spread out ice cream on one side and flip another side over to create gigantic ice cream sandwich cake. At this point, let your freezer to finish up the job for ya!
I like spreading a little Nutella on the cake when serving. Melted chocolate works absolutely fine. How does the cake taste like by itself?
It’s peanut buttery.
It’s sweet and cold.
It’s almost a perfect snack for a warm day!
Without further ado, here comes to the recipe! Enjoy!
No Bake Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Category: Desserts
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 4 cups Rice Krispies
- 3 cups ice cream of your choice, slightly softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl, stir together corn syrup, peanut butter and cinnamon.
- Add Rice Krispies into the bowl and mix well.
- Butter 2 9″ round cake pans. (This will help take out the mixture easily later.)
- Divid the mixture into two even portions and press firmly to the bottom of each cake pan by using the back of a regular-sized spoon.
- Place both cake pans in your freezer until the mixtures are firm, about 15 minutes.
- Take out the mixture from both cake pans. Spread one part of the mixture with softened ice cream.
- Top with the other part of Rice Krispie mixture to make one very large sandwich in a cake shape.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- When ready to serve, spread some Nutella or melted chocolate on top of the cake. (Totally optional.) Cut into slices and enjoy!
- Wrap leftover slices individually in foil paper or freezer wrap and store in freezer until needed.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
- Serving Size: 8-10
Keywords: ice cream sandwich