KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker Review 2022: Is It the Right Sous Vide Machine for You?
Looking to buy a sous vide machine? Read this in-depth KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker review and decide if it’s the right fit for you.
Nowadays, I am surprised the question I am asked the most when it comes to sous vide cooking is no longer “What is sous vide?”
It’s this: “What sous vide machine do you use?”
My answer is probably out of the ordinary because I am one of few nerds who have two sous vide machines at home. I use both the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker and the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker.
I got my Anova when I moved from Austin, TX to Hong Kong in early 2018. The version I have is considered vintage now since Anova has retired the product and replaced it with a newer version under the same tier. In late 2021, KitchenBoss supplied a G320 Sous Vide Cooker for review and brand recognition purposes. I have spent the last four months testing it.
In this KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker review, I’ll share my experiences as an active user over the past few months—the pros and cons of this product, the features and benefits, and what I like (and don’t like) about it, all with the hope of providing you an objective point of view. You’ll also find what other active users are saying about the product throughout the article, so you can decide if this is the right sous vide machine for you.
Let’s dive in.
- KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker Overview
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Sous Vide Machine
Features and Benefits of the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker
- Built-In Recipe Program and TFT Screen Display for Beginners to Make Restaurant-Quality Food
- Customizable Recipe Pre-Settings for Convenience and Efficiency
- High-End, Powerful Motor with High Speed to Ensure Super Water Flow and Eliminate Noise
- Delayed Timer Means Freshly Made Sous Vide Food When You Want It
- Slick Stainless Steel Design for Easy Cleaning and Elegant Appearance
KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker Overview
The KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker is an immersion circulator, AKA a sous vide machine that’s thoughtfully designed by an electrical appliance company based in Shenzhen, China.
With a shared love of cooking, strong, innovative technical design and production background, along with the team’s extensive knowledge of international cuisine, KitchenBoss was able to create affordable precision cookers with exceptionally high standards of quality and efficiency. The G320 Sous Vide Cooker won the 2021 Red Dot Design Award, which is one of the world’s largest design competitions.
KitchenBoss sous vide products have obtained a strong foothold in both North America and Europe since 2016.
Based on what I have seen on the market, KitchenBoss sous vide machines are the only ones that have a built-in program of 20 recipes displayed on an ultra-clear TFT (a variant of LCD) screen. This is a wonderful feature for sous vide beginners, who don’t have to worry about getting the time and temperature right for certain foods. It ensures success in the sous vide cooking journey right at the beginning to build up users’ confidence in doing more with it.
What Comes with Your Purchase
When you purchase a KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker, here’s what you can expect to see when you open your package.
- KitchenBoss G320 sous vide cooker
- KitchenBoss fixing bracket clamp
- Instruction manual
- Mastering Sous Vide with KitchenBoss cookbook
- 10 vacuum sealer bags (not in the picture because I have used them all)
- A cloth bag for storing the G320 sous vide cooker properly when not in use.
Pros and Cons
Based on my personal experiences, here is a quick rundown on the pros and cons of KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker.
- It’s super quiet. You’ll find yourself wondering if the machine is still on while in use, especially during long hours of cooking.
- It has 20 built-in recipes and 5 customizable recipes displayed on an ultra-clear TFT screen. Whether you are a sous vide beginner or a seasoned home chef, you have the opportunity to expand your repertoire of dishes and improve your skills in the kitchen with this sous vide machine.
- It’s affordable. At the time of writing this review, the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker is priced at $149.99 on Amazon. Compared to other sous vide precision cooker brands in the same tier, you get more bang for your buck.
- It’s safe, secure, and easy to clean. Most of the machine is made with food-grade stainless steel, including the parts that contact the water of your sous vide bath. Stainless steel is much safer when heated compared to plastic. Plus, it’s super easy to clean.
- It’s available in the US, Canada, UK, EU, and Japan. KitchenBoss made a considerable effort to make its sous vide machine accessible in different regions and countries, so more home cooks can benefit from the sous vide cooking method.
- It’s quite tall. The machine measures 15 inches long from head to toe with a diameter of 8 inches. When I set the machine’s temp and timer with a pot placed on my kitchen counter, I’m on my tippy toes. However, I am a petite woman, so the size might not be an issue for you.
- The user manual has room for improvement. It doesn’t take long for users to get a hang of how to use this sous vide machine, but you might not find the instructions in the user manual straightforward.
- No WiFi or Bluetooth connection. Being able to control the machine via a smartphone is not an option.
- Only heats up to 194°F (90°C). Unlike other sous vide machines, the temperature doesn’t go higher than 194°F (90°C) with KitchenBoss. So if you want to try sous vide rice (200°F), it’s not happening.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Sous Vide Machine
Before we go into the nitty-gritty about the features and benefits of the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker, please keep in mind that there are a few things you should consider before buying any sous vide machine. Try to answer the questions below and see what really matters to you before making a purchase decision.
- Is it beginner-friendly or designed for pros?
- Will I be able to learn how to use it quickly?
- Does it come with a mobile app?
- Does it come with recipes?
- How often am I going to use it?
- Is it easy to reach the company’s customer support team?
- Does it have the right electric plug and voltage for my country?
Features and Benefits of the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker
Now, let’s see whether or not the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker is the right fit for you.
Built-In Recipe Program and TFT Screen Display for Beginners to Make Restaurant-Quality Food
KitchenBoss created the world’s first color monitor control-panel display system with preset temperatures and times for the most popular recipes to make at home. The 20 built-in recipes cover pretty much all the bases, from classic steak, chicken breast, fish, lamb chops, pork chops, certain vegetables, and even desserts.
In my opinion, this feature hugely benefits sous vide beginners. It can be intimidating to start with a new cooking technique, and this guarantees consistent results. By simply selecting the foods you plan to cook from a set of preset temperatures and times, it eliminates error, food waste, and the fear that we all have when we start something new. The experience will allow you to pick up sous vide cooking very quickly, which boosts your overall confidence in the kitchen.
In addition, the KitchenBoss cookbook provides the perfect pairings with each main, so you can easily whip up complete restaurant-quality meals in the comfort of your own kitchen.
And if you are a seasoned cook, do your own magic with food. You can enjoy the convenience of the pre-settings or preset your own temperatures and times for a quick dial to reach your desired texture for certain foods. Read on.
Customizable Recipe Pre-Settings for Convenience and Efficiency
There are 5 customized recipe options for you on the same display system with a KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker. To illustrate this feature well, here’s how I pre-set mine for the foods that I cook the most.
- Style 1: 122°F, 40 minutes for salmon
- Style 2: 136°F, 90 minutes for pork tenderloin
- Style 3: 149°F, 90 minutes for chicken breast
- Style 4: 185°F, 30 minutes for corn on the cob and green beans, 60 minutes for carrots
- Style 5: 194°F, 30 minutes for sweet potatoes and butternut squash, 60 minutes for potatoes
Basically, whenever I cook the above foods, all I need to do with my KitchenBoss sous vide machine is select the relevant pre-set style with the removable appointment knob and start the machine. This makes cooking extremely convenient and efficient.
You can do the same with your go-to foods at home in the same way.
High-End, Powerful Motor with High Speed to Ensure Super Water Flow and Eliminate Noise
I think I have mentioned how quiet this sous vide machine is multiple times, both in this article and in my other sous vide recipe posts. I can’t stress it enough. Now, let’s see what’s behind this magnificent factor.
One of the differences between the G320 Sous Vide Cooker and the previous generations of the KitchenBoss sous vide machine is the upgraded technology, which includes using a powerful, high-end brushless DC motor. It has a high power-to-weight ratio, high speed, nearly instantaneous speed of 3800 rpm once turned on, with a constant rotation that generates 20L/min high water speed, all of which contribute to the close-to-zero-decibel noise.
Delayed Timer Means Freshly Made Sous Vide Food When You Want It
Let’s be honest—sous vide is a slow cooking method. So if you want to fix something quickly for dinner on a workday, you are probably better off with a stove or a grill. However, with the delayed timer thoughtfully designed by the KitchenBoss team, you’ll be able to have hot and freshly made sous vide food ready to serve when you get home. Here’s how it works.
Let’s take steak as an example.
Use an ice water bath for your sous vide setup. Submerge some frozen steak in the bath and set the delayed timer according to your schedule. The steak can safely hang out in the water bath for a few hours. The machine will automatically start the process on its own without you being there. If you time it right, you will be just in time to enjoy it when you come home. This is a pretty neat function!
Slick Stainless Steel Design for Easy Cleaning and Elegant Appearance
Now, the looks! The full-body stainless steel design made a good first impression on me. As a visual and intuitive person, how things look and feel play an important role in my purchasing decisions. The slick design of this sous vide machine is not just for the sake of looking good but more importantly, it comes with a very practical benefit of being easy to clean. The propeller and the entire immersible part of the machine are all made of SUS304 stainless steel. In addition, the appointment knob for setting up temp and time is removable, so you can literally put the entire machine under running water to rinse and clean it easily.
If you’ve gotten this far in the article and don’t find KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker appealing, a good alternative to consider is Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker. I would recommend the 1000-watt AN500-US00 model with WiFi. I have the old generation of the same model, so speaking from first-hand experience, it’s a solid machine that also comes with pros and cons. It’s more expensive, not as quiet, no built-in programs or delayed timer function, but it comes with WiFi and allows you to control it from the convenience of your phone via Anova’s well-designed app, which comes with user-generated recipes. It’s very easy to use.
In a nutshell, the KitchenBoss G320 Sous Vide Cooker is a fantastic choice if you are just starting out, because its one-of-a-kind built-in program covers the most popular recipes. The high-end technology and the thoughts behind the design really set it apart from other sous vide machines on the market. If WiFi or Bluetooth functionality doesn’t matter too much to you, then I’d say that you would not regret choosing KitchenBoss.
I hope this review helps you make the right purchase decision on the sous vide machine that works best for you. I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.