I was introduced to quinoa a year ago. It looks a lot like millet but has a much cuter pronunciation – Keen-wah, right? However, it tastes quite different compared to millet. Quinoa doesn’t have the fluffy or even creamy texture when cooked. In fact, it has its own interesting chewiness.
Well, my first thought of using quinoa to make a creamy and hearty congee like my mom always did with millet was completely shattered.
Nevertheless, over the past year, the more I cook quinoa, the more it grows in me. It’s not only because quinoa’s high protein level (it is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids), but because I discovered that there are actually couple of ways to make quinoa very tasty.
#1. Cook Quinoa In Vegetable Or Chicken Broth.
Instead of using water to cook quinoa, go with vegetable, chicken, or beef broth. If you have some light soup as leftovers, use the liquid. You will find that your quinoa tastes excellent with the additional flavor.
#2. Add Olive Oil & Salt Before Cooking.
When I cook quinoa simply with water, the result is usually a little dry and bland. But, this can be easily fixed by adding a pinch of salt and a few drops of olive oil right before cooking.
#3. Pair Cooked Quinoa With Tasty Dishes.
Make a savory dish to pair with quinoa. Usually, one dish is enough to get you a super healthy and delicious main course. Examples are –
Basil Mushroom With Ponzu
Thai Fried Squid With Basil Leaves
Sautéed Shredded Pork With Mushrooms
We have been thoroughly enjoying those single dishes with cooked quinoa! I hope you get a chance to try some of them. You won’t be disappointed. I promise! 🙂
#4. Stir Quinoa In Mixed Vegetables With Special Dressing.
Last but not least, let quinoa be one of the ingredients of your awesome homemade meal. Today, let me show you how. Ohhhh… you guys are going to love this healthy quinoa bowl!
It contains a lot of vegetables, like A LOT!
It gives you a great amount of protein.
It tastes like spring and full of flavor.
It looks like a rainbow in a bowl!
It’s extremely healthy and easy to make.
It’s gluten free and vegan!
All in all, it’s SUPERB!
Enjoy it warm as a main course or eat it cold as a quinoa salad! Yes, I love things that are flexible. It just makes life easier, doesn’t it?
Did you like this recipe? How do you make your quinoa taste delicious? Tell me about it in the comments below. Cheers!Print
Healthy Quinoa Bowl
An extremely healthy quinoa bowl mixed with vegetables and very savory dressing! Enjoy it warm as a main dish or serve cold as a wonderful salad!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Gluten Free, Vegan
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1 package of 10.8 oz mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stem green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa in a rice cooker just like how you cook regular rice. It takes about 10 minutes to cook 1 cup quinoa in my Tatung Ricer Cooker and Steamer. If you don’t have a rice cooker yet, here’s what to do. Rinse quinoa under cold water and drain. Place it in a pot and cover with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 12 to 14 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and keep covered for 5 more minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff it with a fork; let cool.
- Cook mixed vegetables with chopped broccoli florets according to the package instruction.(Empty frozen contents of bag into a saucepan. Add 1 cup water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes.) Stir occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked vegetables, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro, basil, and green onion. Add quinoa and pour the dressing over. Stir until even. Dish, serve warm or cold.
Keywords: quinoa bowl