Easy Mississippi roast made in a slow cooker. This recipe makes a delicious gravy. Serve it with mashed potatoes for a completed satisfying meal. Hope you enjoy!
I love pepperoncini peppers. When I first learned about Mississippi roast, it was like music to my ears. So this recipe has easily become one of my favorite slow cooker recipes.
Including salt and pepper, it requires only 9 ingredients. If you are in a hurry to prepare this dish, literally just dump everything in your slow cooker, set it on low and go on with your day.
I like to sear my meat before slow cooking, so here are the steps that I took to make this delicious Mississippi roast.
First, rinse your roast and pat it dry. Then season each side of the beef with a little salt and pepper. Normally, I would tell you to season the meat generously with salt for more flavor. However, in this recipe, you want to take it easy on the salt because we are going to use both ranch dressing mix and au jus mix, which contain salt already.
Next, sear the seasoned roast on the stove with butter. If you don’t have the time to do this step or you just feel lazy (Hey! No judgment. I can relate to that easily. :P), you just place the beef in your slow cooker and add the unmelted butter on top of it before cooking.
Now, transfer the seared roast in a slow cooker. I should have probably mentioned this earlier. Depending on how big your slow cooker is, you can choose your roast. If it’s a 4 or 5-pound one, you want to use a 6-quart slow cooker. If it’s a 3-pound one or smaller, a 4-quart slow cooker should be fine. Of course, you want to adjust the seasoning based on the size of your roast.
The last step is to sprinkle ranch dressing mix and au jus mix on top of the roast, followed by pepperoncini peppers and carrots. Cook the whole thing on low for 8 hours and get ready for a mouth-watering meal.
Since this recipe makes an amazing gravy, I would suggest you make some mashed potatoes to go with it. I enjoyed some leftover Mississippi roast by itself. It’s still to die for! Hope you enjoy!Print
Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast
Easy mississippi roast made in a crockpot with delicious gravy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main, Paleo
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 (1 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope au jus mix
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers or more if you like
- 1 cup diced carrots
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Rinse chuck roast and pat dry with paper towels. Season each side of the roast with a little salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet. Melt butter over medium-high heat. Sear the roast in the skillet, about 30 seconds each side.
- Transfer the roast into a 6-quart slow cooker with all the remaining butter. Sprinkle ranch dressing mix on top of the roast. Place pepperoncini peppers and carrots on top. Cover and set on low for 8 hours.
- Dish and garnish with cilantro. Serve with mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food.com
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 566
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 240mg
- Fat: 26.5g
- Saturated Fat: 11.7g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1g
- Protein: 75.1g
- Cholesterol: 249mg