A delightful poached salmon recipe featuring a healthy protein and sides to give you a satisfying, complete meal for a family of four.
Today, we are going to do something new – poached salmon in coconut milk.
In this recipe, the salmon really shines as the main ingredient and protein. Yet it also blends into the dish’s many components and flavors. I paired the seafood with filling grits and a mix of vegetables so you and your family gain a complete meal that can easily fill everyone up and satisfy them. You cook the salmon and vegetables in a coconut milk, ginger and red chili flake sauce that brings the whole meal together and adds complexity to it.
If you think cooking seafood is difficult, then this recipe only takes 10 minutes to prepare. You can have it finished in just a little over 30 minutes. To make it easier, I use pre-prepared, frozen vegetables, which cuts down on your prep time and effort.
This poached salmon recipe provides a lot of health value with its omega-3 fatty acids and large amounts of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B12 and D. Plus, you get a lot of nutrients from the vegetables and the healthy ingredients in the sauce.
In addition, all the different ingredients from this recipe come together to make a fragrant and delicious fusion. The flavors combined goes beyond any of the ingredients on their own. Complete your meal by serving the salmon, vegetables and the sauce over some simple grits. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
As always, leave a comment and let me know what you think. Happy cooking!Print
- 4 fresh salmon fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, well rinsed and thinly sliced (white and light green part only)
- 1 (13.66-oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 1/2 cups unsalted vegetable broth, divided
- 3/4 cup grits
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (12-oz) bag frozen Asian vegetable mix (broccoli, carrots, snap peas, water chestnuts, baby corns, mushrooms)
- Rinse salmon fillets under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Season with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat up olive oil over medium-high heat. Place ginger, half of the yellow onions and leek in the pan. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, coconut milk, red chili flakes and 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 5 minutes.
- Nestle salmon fillets in the coconut mixture and cover; simmer gently for 8-10 minutes (do not boil) or until fish is opaque and separates easily.)
- In the meantime, bring 3 cups vegetable broth with the other half of yellow onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add grits, bring to a boil again and simmer for 5-7 minutes, stir until grits come to the desired consistency. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Divide grits into 4 portions and dish onto 4 serving plates evenly. When salmon is done, remove from the pan and place fish on top of the grits.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add frozen vegetables to the coconut mixture. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened.
- Serve the vegetables and sauce over salmon and grits. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 641
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 964mg
- Fat: 40.8g
- Saturated Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 26.3g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Protein: 46.6g
- Cholesterol: 83mg