Hola!! Welcome to May!
A glimpse of my calendar tells me that we’ve got Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, and Memorial Day in this month, plus multiple National food days like National Chocolate Macaroon Day, National Cheese Day, etc. I like the sound of these holidays already. May is going to be fantastic!
To start it off right, I would like to share my all-time favorite Pico de Gallo recipe with you. It’s probably one of the most versatile appetizers on earth. You can literally enjoy it with EVERY.SINGLE.MEXICAN.DISH that you can think of.
I don’t just make Pico de Gallo for Cinco de Mayo. This recipe is on my weekly meal plan routine, meaning I make a big batch every week and keep it in the fridge. It’s usually all gone by the end of the week because there are a zillion ways to enjoy it! (OK, not a zillion, maybe a million.)
Here are some ideas to scratch the surface.
- Enjoy it with tortilla chips (obviously).
- Combine 1 cup of pico with mashed avocados for instant guacamole.
- Chop one tomato and cook with 1 cup of pico on low heat until tender and blend for instant salsa.
- Use it in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and quesadillas, etc.
- Use it for Mexican Pizza.
- Pair it with fried eggs for a healthy breakfast or make omelettes with it.
- Make Tex-Mex queso (cheese dip) with it.
- Bake a layer of tortilla chips with cheese and throw it on top to make a simple nacho.
- Add some pineapple or mango for a quick and delightful fruit salsa.
Did I convince you yet? Need I say more?
OK, let me remind you. This Pico de Gallo is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan, Paleo, and totally a clean-eating material! Whatever diet you are on, this is safe to have in your kitchen and feel free to nom on it whenever you like because it’s low-calorie and low-carb.
How about now? I don’t know about you, but I am totally convinced by myself.
If you get a chance to make this recipe, leave a comment below or tag #DelishPlan on Instagram. I’d love to see what you cook up. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
On a side note, I am so obsessed with sharing step-by-step instructions about my everyday cooking on SnapChat lately. It’s so much fun! Are you on SnapChat? Follow me if you are. My username is persuasianfood. Looking forward to snap-chatting with you.
Table of Contents
Pico de Gallo Recipe
Simple and authentic pico de gallo recipe that goes well with basically all Mexican dishes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Gluten Free, Vegan
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 9 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves, firmly packed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Juice of 2–3 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and jalapeño pepper. Combine in a large mixing bowl. Squeeze lime juice over and season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you want more heat, keep the jalapeño seeds in or use habanero pepper. This pico can be refrigerated for up to two weeks. Recipe adapted from Almost Fearless.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 13mg
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: pico de gallo recipe