Galbi jjim, Korean braised short ribs, slow-cooked in a rich, umami sauce. It requires only five quick steps and ten minutes of prep time.
Galbi jjim (pronounced gal-bee jjim) is Korean braised beef short ribs. It is an excellent recipe to make in the slow cooker because the ribs cook low and slow, which prevents them from becoming tough and chewy. If you’ve tried to cook Asian ribs before and they’ve been a flop, you probably cooked them too quickly, at too high a temperature. By letting the slow cooker take the reins on this one, you’ll end up with tender, juicy ribs with the perfect amount of crisp on the outside.
The delicious umami seasoning for the short ribs is also very simple and not at all intimidating to make. All you need to do is combine homemade beef broth or water with soy sauce, onion, garlic, red wine, and brown sugar. Then pour it over all the ingredients in the slow cooker. I like using beef bone broth for my braised beef ribs.
At the very last stage of the recipe, you’ll add honey, sesame oil, and a green onion garnish as the final touch. The only thing left to do at this point is preparing to have your tastebuds blown.
Traditionally, galbi jjim is served with shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and radishes, which are also added to the slow cooker to complete the dish and save on cook time. If you can’t find shiitake mushrooms, you can use sliced button or cremini mushrooms. Radishes can also be swapped for daikon or turnip. It’s optional to serve this dish over white rice.Print
Galbi Jjim – Korean Beef Short Ribs
Galbi jjim, Korean braised short ribs dish, slow-cooked in a rich, umami sauce. It requires only five quick steps and ten minutes of prep time.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Korean
- 2 cups of beef bone broth or low-sodium beef stock (or 2 cups of water)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon red wine (or cooking wine)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2–3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushroom, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 ounces radish
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stem green onion, chopped
- Season beef bone broth or water with soy sauce, onion, garlic, red wine and brown sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Place short ribs, mushroom, radish, and carrots in a slow cooker.
- Pour seasoned water over all the ingredients and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Before serving, transfer all solid ingredients from the slow cooker to a large pot. Add 1 cup of sauce from your slow cooker and cook over high heat on the stove. Meanwhile, add honey and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently until the liquid evaporates (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 8.7g
- Sodium: 1477.4mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5g
- Trans Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 49.1g
- Cholesterol: 181.3mg