The first time I saw beets, they looked like giant radishes to me. The first time I handled beets, they made a serious red mess to my kitchen. The first time I tasted beets, my eyes widened. I am not sure what I was expecting but their softness and natural sweetness totally blew my mind. I found it hard to believe how the crunchy and rough-looking exterior of raw beets can be transformed into something wonderfully soft and buttery once they are cooked.
That’s why I am so obsessed with this beet salad and I am confident that you are going to love the look of it, and certainly the taste of it.
It starts with preparing beets. I don’t know about you, but peeling beets and cutting them into slices felt like that I was preforming a surgery. You know, I had my white kitchen gloves on. There was a knife in my hand and the beet on my cutting board was “bleeding” from every single move I made…Hmmm, I must have watched too much TV shows.
Anyways, here is my point. Just keep in mind that beets have a unique ability of staining everything they can possibly touch. However, the red juice is fairly easy to rinse off. If your hands become stained during the preparation process, simply rub some lemon juice on them. The stain will come right off.
Now that the most tricky part of making this salad is over, the rest is a no brainer. Once the beet slices are nicely baked, all you need to do is to lay them on your serving plate covered with some baby spinach and arugula. Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese and chopped green onion. You are all set. It’s that easy.
The green, white and dark red combination tastes soft and crunchy at the same time. The salty flavor from feta cheese boasts beet’s earthy sweetness. We enjoyed this refreshing salad both warm and cold. Trust me, you don’t want to miss out this elegant composed side dish full of powerful nutrients!
Here is to March! Cheers!Print
Feta Beet Salad With Green Onion
An elegant composed beet salad with crumbled feta cheese, green onion, and arugula & spinach mix.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Gluten Free, Salad
- 1 lb beet (3 medium ones), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 stem green onion, chopped
- 1 cup arugula and spinach mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place beet slices onto a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with Olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Brush the seasonings to cover each beet slice.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Spread out arugula and spinach on the bottom of a large serving plate. Place baked beet slices on top of the greens. Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped green onion. Serve warm or cold.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: beet salad