Easy Pepperoni Pizza Soup (Stovetop and Slow Cooker Methods)
Eat pizza to your heart’s content with this low-carb, keto-friendly, veggie-packed pepperoni pizza soup recipe. Make on the stovetop or in the slow cooker in 5 easy steps.
Have you ever wished you could eat unlimited amounts of pizza with no health consequences? I don’t have an exact solution for that, but this pizza soup recipe comes pretty close. (You know what they say—everything in moderation.)
What is Pizza Soup?
Pizza soup combines all of your favorite pizza flavors in one bowl.
With the absence of refined carbohydrates, tons of veggies, and a sprinkling of cheese, this pizza soup recipe is far more nutritious than eating a slice of pizza. You can certainly feel good about having seconds.
This hearty soup recipe is made with juicy tomatoes, Italian seasonings, mushrooms, bell peppers, pepperoni, sausage, and of course, a mozzarella and parmesan cheese garnish. Made with my favorite beef bone broth base, this pizza soup is also keto-friendly and gluten-free.
If you see what I see, pizza soup is also the perfect solution for using up the veggies that are on their last legs in your produce drawer.
A few other welcome additions to this recipe are zucchini, yellow or red bell peppers, extra crushed tomatoes, eggplant, artichokes, and olives. Do you have any other favorite pizza toppings? Add them in!
How to Make Pizza Soup
There are two ways you can make pizza soup: on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. You’ll find instructions for both methods below.
Either option requires only five steps. You’ll start by browning the sausage, adding the veggies, aromatics, beef broth, and pepperoni, and simmering the soup. Then, it’s time to ladle the soup into a bowl and dish up with parmesan and mozzarella cheese and any other desired toppings. Easy as.
If you make this recipe on the stovetop, it will be ready to eat in 45 minutes. This is ideal if you need something quick on weeknights. If you go the crockpot route, 6-8 hours of cook time will yield an extremely flavorful soup with perfectly tenderized meat. Both methods work great; it just depends on what’s most convenient for you and your schedule.
I love to add an extra finishing touch to this recipe for extra texture and a protein boost. It’s totally optional, but sliced avocado and a fried egg on top makes the pizza soup even more hearty and satiating. Not afraid of carbs? Add croutons or serve it with breadsticks.
Different Ways You Can Modify It
With an endless variety of pizza flavors in the world, there’s no doubt you can modify this pizza soup recipe to match whatever you’re in the mood for (and to suit the ingredients you have on hand).
For meat lovers, you could add ground beef or turkey to the recipe. If you don’t have beef bone broth, regular beef broth or chicken broth works fine. I’ve personally found the beef bone broth adds a subtle “meatier” flavor.
To make a vegan version of pizza soup, you can use veggie broth or stock for the base and vegan Italian sausages. If you don’t have access to vegan meats, you could load the soup up with chunky cut veggies (eggplant, zucchini, artichoke, black olives), season with kosher salt, and top it with avocado.Print
Eat pizza to your heart’s content with this low-carb, keto-friendly, veggie-packed pizza soup recipe. Make on the stovetop or in the slow cooker in 5 easy steps.
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 pound white mushroom, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef bone broth or beef broth
- 8 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Avocado slices and/or fried egg for serving (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and brown sausage, breaking it up into small pieces with a spatula. If your sausage generates too much grease to your liking, drain it a little bit.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers, followed by dried oregano and Italian seasonings. Combine well.
- Add crushed tomatoes and beef bone broth into the saucepan, followed by pepperoni slices. Stir to combine. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Optionally, serve with avocado slices and fried eggs. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Version:
- Brown sausage over medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet.
- Drain the grease from the sausage and place the meat in a slow cooker.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the cheese and toppings) to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Dish and serve with cheese, avocado slices, or even fried eggs if desired.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 1117.8mg
- Fat: 32.3g
- Saturated Fat: 12.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Cholesterol: 70.1mg