Fresh mozzarella with cooked bacon, grated parmesan cheese and two eggs on top of an easy crust made with buttermilk pancake mix, this breakfast pizza is one of the amazingly innovative dishes you can make with a box of pancake mix.
Last year, we visited our friends Stef and Eric when they were living in NYC. It was a Sunday morning. Stef announced that breakfast would be pancakes when we woke up in her comfy futon. Apparently, having pancakes on Sunday mornings is a tradition for them.
I loved the idea of having a tradition like this. Something good and staple to look forward to every week. It’s a wonderful family thing.
I didn’t grow up eating pancakes as breakfasts. Neither did Han. So the delicious and healthy (Stef mixed loads of chia seeds into the batter) pancake breakfast was an unconventionally amazing start of the day for both of us.
Watching the pancake batter firm up in Stef’s cast iron skillet, I wondered what else we can do with a box of pancake mix. The great internet once again opened my eyes. I was amazed by the search result at the moment, but I didn’t do anything about it until a couple weeks ago.
I had the honor to enter a recipe contest held by Kerbey Lane Cafe, a local Austin restaurant that’s been around for over 35 years. There’s only one requirement to enter the contest – developing a recipe using Kerbey Lane Cafe’s pancake mix. Time to get creative.
I have learned that there are a million things you can do with pancake mix besides making pancakes since last time I looked. After a few testing, I submitted this breakfast pizza recipe made with buttermilk pancake mix to the organizer and patiently waited for the feedback from the judges.
The result came in a few weeks later. This breakfast pizza recipe made it to the top 6. Yay!
Whether you have a Pancake Sunday tradition in your family, or you’ve got some pancake mix in different flavors, there are at least 6 amazingly innovative dishes you can make with a box of pancake mix. Take a look and download the recipes. You will be surprised.
Now, I would like to ask you. Do you use pancake mix to make different foods? If so, what innovative ideas do you have? Leave a comment below and let me know. I can’t wait to hear.Print
Table of Contents
Fresh mozzarella with cooked bacon, grated parmesan cheese and two eggs on top of an easy crust made with buttermilk pancake mix.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
- Total Time: 39 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Pizza
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
For the pizza crust:
- 2 cups Buttermilk pancake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the pizza topping:
- 2 large balls of fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and ripped up
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion for garnishing
- Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a pizza pan or a cookie sheet with cooking spray or a little bit olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pancake mix, water, and olive oil. Mix well with a spoon.
- On a clean and dry counter or kneading surface, sprinkle a little pancake mix or flour. Transfer your dough from the mixing bowl to the floured surface. Knead for two minutes. Cover with a slightly damp clean kitchen cloth and let the dough sit for 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- Dust a rolling pin with a little pancake mix or flour, roll the pizza dough into a circle or a square (about 1/2-inch thick). Transfer the pizza crust to the greased pizza pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once the pizza crust is ready, top the pizza with torn fresh mozzarella pieces, bacon pieces, and parmesan cheese. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake for 14 minutes. Seven minutes into baking, add eggs on the pizza and continue to bake until the egg whites are set.
- Season the pizza with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Sprinkle chopped green onion on top. Slice it up and serve.
Pizza topping recipe adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 472
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 816mg
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 10.8g
- Carbohydrates: 21.7g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 18.6g
- Cholesterol: 138mg
Keywords: breakfast pizza