Enjoy a delicious, healthier twist on a classic potato gratin that showcases cauliflower as the vegetable. This cauliflower gratin makes an exciting side dish that gets your family to eat more vegetables!
Classic potato gratin is great but sometimes it’s nice to get away from that standby and its starchiness. And maybe you’re even following a specialty diet or lifestyle change that has you steering clear of potatoes and the breadcrumbs that often cover a potato gratin. Whether that sounds like you or you’re simply looking for some healthier recipes that are still delicious, this cauliflower gratin is perfect.
A Healthier and Interesting Twist on Potato Gratin
Any time you’re trying to eat healthier, you can take a regular recipe that you love and substitute with different ingredients. This is a great option even when you’re just trying to switch up your meals and enjoy new flavors. In this cauliflower gratin recipe, I used cauliflower instead of potatoes. Although potatoes can still be a healthy choice depending on your diet, cauliflower is lighter on calories, carbs, and starch with high amounts of fiber and protein packed into each serving. Covering a vegetable with a rich cream sauce and cheese makes anyone love it, so this kind of dish is ideal for getting your family to eat more vegetables! For more ideas on bringing cauliflower into your meals, try my Roasted Cauliflower with Soy-Ginger Sauce and Easy Fried Cauliflower Rice recipes.
Creating Cauliflower Gratin
This recipe only takes about 10 minutes to prep and then you throw it in the oven. You simply make a sauce filled with flavorful herbs and ingredients, then pour it over the cut cauliflower and sprinkle on some cheese. If you want, you can customize the recipe. Make it gluten-free with cornstarch instead of flour, and try Parmesan cheese as a more affordable, accessible option to Gruyere.
Would you try a gratin with cauliflower instead of potatoes? If you decide to make this dish, leave a message in the comments and let me know how you and your family liked it!
Cauliflower Gratin Recipe (Gluten Free)
A delicious, healthier twist on a classic potato gratin, this cauliflower gratin makes an exciting side dish that gets your family to eat more vegetables!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side, Vegetarian, Gluten Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cored and cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour or use cornstarch for a gluten-free gratin
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the core of the cauliflower and cut the cauliflower into florets. Place the florets in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Prepare a 2-quart gratin dish or a shallow baking dish by coating it with cooking oil spray.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallot and garlic. Add salt and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in thyme, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the flour or cornstarch until it’s incorporated with all other ingredients in the saucepan, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream and bring to a simmer, about 1 minute.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower florets and coat well. Transfer to the prepared gratin dish. Cover it with foil and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 35 minutes until almost tender.
- Remove the foil. Stir the cauliflower to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top and return the the oven. Continue to bake, uncovered, until the cauliflower is lightly brown on top and tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Let the cauliflower sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Parmesan cheese can be substitute for the Gruyère.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Sodium: 612mg
- Fat: 21.1g
- Saturated Fat: 12.8g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 396mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
Keywords: cauliflower gratin