This Kimchi fried rice is an easy and delicious dinner you can whip up in just 30 minutes. It can be easily adapted to suit your family’s taste.
If you like kimchi, you are going to love this kimchi fried rice!! We’ve talked about fried rice before such as Bacon and Eggs Fried Rice and Easy Fried Cauliflower Rice. Since fried rice is pretty customizable, the kimchi fried rice is the same way.
I made this basic kimchi fried rice with onions and mushrooms because that’s all I had in the fridge at the time. But you can totally add more protein in your fried rice if you’d like. Cooked chicken, turkey and ham are all pretty good options, in my opinion.
To make kimchi fried rice, you do need to have kimchi on hand and that’s not a super difficult thing to find in your local grocery store anymore. In case you can’t find any, homemade kimchi is always an option.
Once you have kimchi and a couple cups of cooked rice, you are pretty much in business. That’s how easy this recipe is.
When you get a chance to make it, leave a comment and let me know what ingredients you added in your kimchi fried rice. I am always looking for cooking ideas and I’d love to hear from you!
Kimchi Fried Rice
Fried rice cooked with kimchi, mushrooms, onions in kimchi juice. Quick and tasty!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Korean
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup roughly chopped kimchi, juice squeezed out and reserved (I used homemade kimchi.)
- 3 tablespoons kimchi juice or to taste
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice, chilled
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs, fried
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onion for garnishing
- In a large sauté pan or cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, followed with a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes until the onions are fragrant, stirring often.
- Add kimchi, mushrooms and kimchi juice. Let it cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat until the rice has absorbed the sauce, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut ominos or soy sauce, sesame oil and turn the heat down to medium low. Let the rice continue to cook for another 2 minutes, untouched until lightly brown.
- In the meantime, in another pan, heat a little oil over medium heat, drop two eggs in the pan and season with a little salt, pepper, paprika and tarragon (optional) and let them cook to your desired doneness.
- Dish the kimchi fried rice, top each serving with a fried egg and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion. Serve!
If you’d like to add meat in your kimchi fried rice, diced ham, spam, chicken, and turkey are great options. Just add the meat with rice in step 3.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 960
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 844mg
- Fat: 27.5g
- Saturated Fat: 13.3g
- Carbohydrates: 153.7g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 20.8g
- Cholesterol: 209mg
Keywords: kimchi fried rice