When you go to Chipotle, the restaurant often enough, you know what you like the most and you end it up always ordering the same thing. In my case, it’s barbacoa burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, sweet corn, lettuce, cheese, pico, sour cream and three types of salsa. All three! I like my bowl extra saucy and spicy. Oh yeah!
The other day, I spent some time in the kitchen meal planning according to this food list. I threw together a peach pico de gallo, blended some red salsa while simmering some brown rice on the stove. Then, a burrito bowl idea flashed into my mind. It looks like I’ve got half of the ingredients ready for a burrito bowl. So I quickly opened the fridge and my pantry to see if I had the other half.
A can of black beans. Check.
A head of lettuce. Check.
Sweet corn… Wait, do I have corn? Here it is in the freezer. Check.
Oh, look. I even have some shredded carrots. That can be added into the burrito bowl too.
Sour cream. Check.
Extra cilantro. Check.
Fabulous! All I need is some protein now. The simplest solution? Chicken!
Shredded chicken totally works if you lack the time. But if you want to make your burrito bowl extra yummy, let’s get to work on making some glorious chicken breasts.
There are two ways to make the unevenly thick chicken breasts juicy and tender. (Actually, there are three ways. I am going to save the third way for next time since it involves a secret weapon.)
Cooking Method #1 – Grill
Got a gas grill? Lucky you. Preheat the grill to medium heat and place the seasoned chicken on the direct heat. Put the smooth side down first. It’s the side that originally had the skin on. It’s easy for the chicken to pick up the grill marks. The chicken will be sticking on the grill at the beginning. Cover the grill and let it cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Check and turn. At this point, the chicken should come right off the grill when you turn it. Cook the other side for another 4 to 6 minutes. Don’t leave the grill because chicken can be overcooked quickly. So you want to make sure it’s cooked through, perfectly juicy but not over cooked.
Cooking Method #2 – Bake
No gas grill? Not a big deal. You can make equally wonderful chicken in the oven with a little more time. The secret is to use a piece of parchment paper to cover the chicken while baking. Make sure to tuck the edges in the baking dish so that the chicken is completely covered. It helps to lock the juice in. Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes until the chicken registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
Now that you’ve got the chicken down, let’s assemble the chicken burrito bowl with a little bit of everything, shall we? The topping options are endless. Got more fresh ingredients such as bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes to add into the bowl? Feel free! Missing a few ingredients? No biggie. As long as you’ve got the chicken, salsa and a few other ingredients from the list, you are good to go! This recipe is totally customizable.
If you make it, please do leave a comment below and let me know what you add into your delicious burrito bowl. And if you could share a photo on Instagram or Snapchat to show me your bowl, I’d probably dance a little. Hope you enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Burrito Bowl
Assemble a healthy and delicious burrito bowl with these perfectly grilled juicy chicken breasts in just 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main, Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (about 1.5–2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
To assemble the burrito bowl:
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups fancy shredded cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups salsa of your choice
- 2 cups Peach Pico de Gallo or regular pico
Other topping options:
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Jalapeño pepper slices
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels. Brush both sides with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and paprika evenly and set aside.
- Grill the chicken, smooth side down, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, for 4-6 minutes. Turn, cover again and grill for anther 4-6 minutes until the meat is firm. Remove the chicken breasts from the grill and slice them.
- Microwave the corn with water on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Divide all ingredients into 4 portions and assemble each burrito bowl with 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup sweet corn, 1/2 cup black beans, 1/2 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup carrots, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 cup pico and 1 portion of chicken. (Feel free to add more or less of each ingredient to your liking.)
You may cook juicy chicken breasts in the oven as well. Here’s how.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush a baking dish and one side of parchment paper with a little olive oil or butter. This prevents the chicken from sticking.
2. Place seasoned chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish. Cover with parchment paper (oil or butter side down). Tuck the edges of the paper into the baking dish to make sure the chicken breasts are completely covered.
3. Baked the chicken on middle rack for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through or registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 901
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 1065mg
- Fat: 43.2g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrates: 111.7g
- Fiber: 16.7g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Cholesterol: 26mg