This baked chicken parmesan without breading is an easy meal to put together for a cozy weeknight dinner. Not to mention that it’s so much healthier than frying!
When I lived in Jacksonville, FL, our neighbor Brian, who’s retired from the US army invited us over to his house for a homemade dinner one day. His dinner plan was chicken parmesan served with spaghetti and garlic bread on the side. I was blown away by how delicious that dinner was.
Brian claimed that it’s the only thing he knew how to make well.
Well, he certainly impressed me.
You know me. There’s no way I would leave that house without that chicken parmesan recipe. Just like many other home cooks, Brian doesn’t have a written recipe and he doesn’t really measure when he cooks. (That’s advanced cooking to me.)
So he tried his best to explain the cooking process which involves in coating the chicken with breadcrumbs, frying the chicken, and then baking the chicken. He said that he had stood in front of the stove for at least half an hour to fry the chicken in batches as he’s serving a group of people. And that’s just one step of the recipe.
I really appreciated the effort and time Brian put in to make that amazing meal. But secretly, I knew that I would want an easy way to make chicken parmesan.
And this baked chicken parmesan without breading, without frying, seems to check off all my boxes.
First, you marinate the chicken in Italian salad dressing and ranching dressing with fresh garlic overnight to give your chicken some amazing flavor to start.
When ready to cook, make a cheese mixture by combining shredded parmesan cheese and dried herbs instead of breadcrumbs. Coat the marinated chicken and place it into a large baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray in a single layer. Then bake for 20 minutes.
While the chicken is baking, make a sauce on the stove and let it simmer until your chicken is almost done. Pour the sauce on top of the chicken and continue to bake for 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
That’s it. The entire cooking process only takes 30 minutes. This baked chicken parmesan is much easier and healthier.
As always, if you get a chance to make it, leave a comment and let me know how you like it. How do you usually make your chicken parmesan? I would love to know.Print
Easy and baked chicken parmesan without breading.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle light Italian dressing
- 1/2 cup light ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 1/4 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons dried basil, divided
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Combine Italian dressing, ranch dressing, 3 tablespoons minced garlic and olive oil in a large Ziploc bag. Squish the bag around to combine all ingredients. Add chicken breasts to the bag, close and squish until they are well coated in the dressing mixture. Place it in the refrigerate to marinate overnight.
- When ready to cook, Preheat oven to 400°F. In a shallow bowl, mix 2 cups parmesan cheese, with parsley, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the basil and oregano (each).
- Spray a large baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Use tongs, remove chicken from the bag one by one and dig in the cheese and spice mixture, until thoroughly coated in cheese mixture. Then place chicken in a single layer in the dish.
- Insert the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, let’s make the sauce.
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, spray with olive oil cooking spray (or use 1 tablespoon olive oil). Over medium-high heat, sauté onions and remaining garlic until tender and onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and tomato sauce to the pan. Stir until smooth. Then add the remaining, oregano and basil, salt, pepper and the bay leaf. (At this point, if sauce looks too thick for your liking, add 1 tomato sauce can of chicken broth or water.)
- Reduce heat to low, allow to simmer for the remainder of the baking time until you need it.
- When chicken has baked 20 minutes, remove from oven. Pour the sauce over chicken, then top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, put baking dish back into the oven for 10 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches to 165°F.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Serve over your preferred vegetables or pasta. Enjoy!
For a gluten-free version, pay attention to the Italian salad dressing and ranch dressing. Choose ones that do not contain gluten.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 1325mg
- Fat: 20.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 17mg
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Cholesterol: 17mg