Curried lentils cooked with sweet potatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes, and chickpeas, this vegan and gluten-free dish is high in protein and big on flavor.
This is one of these dishes that can please gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan people. And a meat eater like myself thoroughly enjoys it.
This curried lentils recipe features sweet potatoes, red onions, fire roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and of course, a ton of seasonings to flavor it up. Sounds good, right?
Sounds good, right?
What’s even better is that I used coconut oil and organic chicken bone broth to cook the lentils with all other ingredients. Super uber healthy and tasty stuff. Of course, you may substitute vegetable broth for the chicken bone broth if you are vegan.
Ever since some of you pointed out that I shouldn’t use canola oil anymore because it’s highly processed and you sent me all those emails to tell me the reasons, I have been good and avoiding it as much as possible. For that, I thank you!
I love learning from you. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, please do not hesitate to let me know. You can email me or leave a comment on the blog. I’m all ears.
Meanwhile, enjoy these curried lentils with sweet potatoes and chickpeas. This dish is really filling and flavorful. I usually make a big batch and freeze it for later. Hope you like it.Print
Curried Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas
Curried lentils cooked with sweet potatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes chickpeas, this vegan and gluten-free dish is high in protein and big on flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Main, Gluten Free, Vegan
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 ounces brown lentils
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 cups chicken bone broth (use vegetable broth if vegan)
- 1 (28-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (28-oz) can chickpea, drained
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnishing
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large saucepan for about 1 minute.
- Add onion and a pinch of salt. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add curry powder, cumin, mustard seed, coriander and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Stir in lentils, sweet potatoes, broth, tomatoes. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 25 minutes, covered, or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in chickpeas and cook until they are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Dish and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 373
- Sugar: 10.1g
- Sodium: 407.3mg
- Fat: 10.8g
- Carbohydrates: 56.9g
- Protein: 16.2g
Keywords: curried lentils