Rather than relying on canned soups, try this quick and convenient homemade cream of chicken soup recipe. Ready in 15 minutes and easy to freeze, it will become your new go-to.
We all know that it’s convenient to grab a can of cream of chicken soup out of the cupboard and throw it into a recipe from time to time. But when you run out of that canned soups or you feel like making a homemade version – which is always more satisfying, isn’t it? – try this cream of chicken soup recipe. Since you get to control the ingredients when you make something from scratch, you can have a healthier version and customize the seasonings to fit your tastes and diet.
Although it takes more time than simply opening a can, this cream of chicken soup recipe really is easy to make and only takes 15 minutes from start to finish. Plus, you can always freeze some and have convenient homemade portions for later. Part of why the recipe is simple is that it only includes a few ingredients, many of which you’ll already have in your pantry.
I have a preference for using chicken bone broth in this cream of chicken soup recipe, but you could just as easily use chicken broth or homemade broth. Other than that, all you need is milk, flour and a mix of seasonings to create this warm and satisfying soup. Enjoy a bowl by itself or use it within a variety of recipes, such as soups or casseroles.
Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
15-min homemade condensed cream of chicken soup recipe that is great for casseroles, stews, and soups.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 1/2 cups
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
For the seasonings:
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth or chicken bone broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and flour until the flour is dissolved.
- Slowly add milk and flour mixture into the boiling broth, whisking constantly to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add all seasonings and bring the mixture to a slow boil, continuously whisking. Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Use in a recipe immediately or store in an airtight jar and refrigerate for up to a week.
1. Feel free to experiment with the seasonings.
2. If you’d like your cream of chicken soup thicker, add more flour. The soup will thicken even more after cooled.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 698.7mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 14.7mg