Classic Chicken Lettuce Wraps
There’s Chinese cuisine wherever Chinese people are found. Among the eight culinary traditions of China, the best known and most influential ones in the States are probably Cantonese cuisine, Sichuan cuisine, Shandong cuisine, and Hunan cuisine.
As a matter of fact, there’s one more popular Chinese related cuisine, which is often considered as Chinese food in US but barely belongs to any traditional Chinese cuisine category. This new concept of Chinese food is American Chinese cuisine. In order to suit American tastes, American Chinese food has formed its own category by being modified to the point that is significantly different from homeland Chinese cuisine.
As someone who was born and raised in China like me, modified Chinese food just didn’t sound that appealing. My mom changed my mind through her homemade Crab Rangoon and Hawaii Fried Rice, and then Han took me to P.F. Chang because I was craving Chinese food like a crazy woman during my first trip to the States two years ago. A handful of American Chinese dishes have really started growing in me since then, including P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps. OMG! That dish is famous for a reason.
If you like P.F Chang’s signature appetizer, you are going to love this homemade version for its simplicity and rich flavor along with crispy iceberg lettuce leaves.
Besides chicken as one of the main ingredients, we love mushroom’s texture in the filling. Mixed sweet mini peppers or bell peppers are to bring the crunchiness action and lovely colors to this dish. This filling alone was so crazily good that I couldn’t help scooping it up directly into my mouth straight from my sauté pan as soon as it’s done. Seriously!
Then I surprised myself with the drizzling sauce I made exclusively for the chicken filling. Only a few drops of the sauce can absolutely take this dish to a whole different new level.
Serve these delicious wraps as an appetizer or eat a bunch of them as a healthy lunch. Whatever you want to do, just make them and enjoy!
Classic chicken lettuce wraps with sautéed chicken filling, crispy lettuce leaves and a delicious sauce! Great as an appetizer or even a meal.
- 1 large skinless and boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 heaping cup mini pepper or bell pepper mix, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, any kind, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- iceberg lettuce leaves
For the drizzling sauce:
- 1 teaspoon hot mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon less sodium soy sauce (coco aminos if gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste
- Place diced chicken breast in a medium bowl. Add cornstarch, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Toss well and set aside.
- While the chicken is marinating, chop the peppers and mushrooms.
- Next, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, dissolve hot mustard in hot water. Add soy sauce and red chili paste. Stir until even and creamy.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat up oil over high heat. Add chicken and toss for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Place mushrooms and sweet mini peppers in the same pan. Sauté for 1 minute with the remaining oil.
- Now add the chicken back. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and toss everything in the pan quickly.
- Dish out the chicken filling. When serving, place a scoop of the filling on one lettuce wrap leaf; drizzle a few drops of sauce; wrap it up and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: chicken lettuce wraps