Hey you! Did you have a wonderful weekend? We are back in Jacksonville, FL for a few days with family for the Independence Day holiday. My brother-in-law Felix smoked lots of brisket and ribs. They were absolutely delicious! When we lived in Jacksonville, Felix and I often cooked together on weekends. He is usually in charge of the meat and I handle the side. Sometimes, the dessert too. That’s what we did for the July 4th weekend. Good times!
The dessert we made this time was to DIE FOR! I can’t wait to share this Chocolate Lava Cake recipe with you. You are not going to believe how easy it is to make this trendy restaurant-style dessert at home. With basic ingredients like chocolate, sugar, butter, eggs and flour and a few ramekins (muffin tins work well too), you will be able to serve these in just 30 minutes.
I seriously can’t even begin to describe how amazing these individual lava cakes are. They are crispy and firm on the top. Once you cut it through with a dessert spoon, the ooey gooey chocolate liquid inside just flows out elegantly. If you serve the chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream, oh my! It’s such a treat.
I also drizzled a little chocolate syrup and added some sprinkles to make it match the holiday theme. Make it anytime you want. It’s guaranteed to be a hit. I promise. Hope you enjoy!
If you do get a chance to make this recipe, please leave a comment below or share your photos with our readers hashtag #DelishPlanner on Instagram. I would love to see your gooey chocolate lava cake! 🙂Print
Chocolate Lava Cake
Gooey inside and firm outside, this chocolate lava cake only requires 5 ingredients and 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 15 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins or 15 4-ounce ramekins. (Please use additional butter for this step.)
- Sprinkle with sugar, tapping to remove extra sugar. (Please use additional sugar for coating the muffin tins in this step.)
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter; whisk until thoroughly melted.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and flour until just blended. Gradually whisk the chocolate into the egg mixture until combined.
- Evenly divide the mixture between the prepared muffin tins or ramekins, using about 1/3 cup for each.
- If using ramekins, place them a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until the tops are firm and beginning to crack and the edges are set.
- Remove from oven. If using ramekins, add a generous scoop of ice cream on top of each lava cake and serve. If using muffin tins, carefully pop up each cake with a fork and transfer to a serving plate, serve with ice cream.
- Optionally, drizzle with chocolate syrup before serving. Enjoy!
There will be a little extra mixture left if using muffin tins. You may finish off the extra in a ramekin. Recipe adapted from Food.com
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 124mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
Keywords: chocolate lava cake