Ever wonder how to make Black Sesame Paste at home? How about making an easy pre-prepared mixture that can be stored up to a few months? Here is the recipe!
Black Sesame Paste is one of the most popular hot desserts in mainland China, Hong Kong and Singapore. If you have ever stepped into a Cantonese dessert store in China Town, you might have seen it on the menu. Since it’s widely available in east-Asian and it’s a great winter treat, I would love you to have the option to make it at home during this holiday season.
We are talking about TWO main ingredients and up to a few months of storage time, ridiculously good healthy benefits, and deliciousness of course!
It starts with grinding toasted black sesames in a food processor. Then heat up sweet white rice flour until fragrant. Blend these two prepared ingredients together. You are pretty much done at this point. Next step is to either keep the mixture in your fridge for future needs, or add boiled water to turn the mixture into paste to serve a group of 8 to 10 people all at once. Isn’t that easy and convenient?
What I love the most about this recipe is that you can 100% control the consistency and sweetness of your black sesame paste, and make the paste whenever you want. Stir hot water into the pre-prepared mixture and drizzle with honey or sugar – that’s all you need to do.
What does it taste like?
It’s silky smooth.
It’s warm and comforting.
It’s perfectly sweet for you.
It’s a wonderful 1-minute breakfast.
It’s a great afternoon snack.
It’s a satisfying dessert.
Make a bunch pre-prepared mixture and fill up some jars, then lock securely. If you want to share good things with your family or friends like I always do, put the mixture in 8-ounce jars and give with small gift tags explaining how to use it.
Alrighty, hope you are enjoying this holiday season. Thank you so much for reading my blog! Han and I spent our Thanksgiving in Shanghai, China with my mother this year. Stay tuned with lots of homemade goodies! You know, mom’s stuff is the best. 🙂
Black Sesame Paste
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 8-ounce jars of mix, 8-10 servings of paste 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Chinese
For Black Sesame Mixture:
- 1 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1 cup black sesame seeds
For 1 Serving of Black Sesame Paste:
- 3 tablespoons Black Sesame Mix
- 1/2 cup boiled water
- honey or brown sugar
- Toast black sesame seeds in one of these two ways. #1 OVEN: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread out sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Let cool. #2 STOVE: Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Place black sesame seeds in the pan and stir constantly until fragrant or you hear crackling sound (about 5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer to a plate to allow cool.
- In the same heated saucepan, over medium heat, add sweet white rice flour. Stir constantly until the sweet smell comes out and the color of the flour turns slightly golden from snow white.
- In a food processor, blend sesame seeds until finely. Scrap down ground black sesame seeds. Add sweet white rice flour into the food processor and blend well together.
- If you have a big crowd to serve, transfer the black sesame mixture into a saucepan. Slowly add boiled water into the pan. (The water needs to be really hot.) One cup at a time. Stir constantly until the paste reaches to your desired consistency. Stir in honey or brown sugar to your taste.
- If you want to save the mixture for later, transfer black sesame mixture into 1 16-ounce jar or 2 8-ounce jars. It can be stored in your fridge up to a few months.
- When ready to serve, scoop out 3 tablespoons of black sesame mixture into a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Pour 1/2 cup boiled water over the mixture. Stir gently until smooth. You may adjust the amount of water or sugar to your liking. Serve warm.