Sautéed Shredded Pork with Mushrooms
There is a very standard yet famous dish in Chinese Sichuan cuisine named Fish Flavored Shredded Pork. There’s no fish involved. The fish flavor comes from a combination of seasonings including dark soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and spicy chili, etc. The original and typical Fish Flavored Shredded Pork requires either Jew’s ear or bamboo as supporting ingredient, which is hard to find here. It’s spicy, sour, and flavored with ginger, garlic and green onion. If you haven’t had it, please order it when you are in a Sichuan restaurant. The dish might be named differently though. Just ask if it’s spicy and sour. If yes, that’s the one!
What I am about to share with you is very similar but easier and more practical. Of course it’s delicious! Remember last time I mentioned that I was thinking about another mushroom recipe to share with you? Here we go! In today’s recipe, we are going to use one King Oyster Mushroom as one of the two main ingredients.
With a little spicy, a little sour, and a little sweet flavor combined together, this dish goes very well with rice or quinoa. I can also see it into my tacos one day.
Let’s make it tonight! 🙂
Sautéed Shredded Pork With Mushrooms
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Chinese
Marinated pork sautéed with mushrooms in dark soy sauce. Super flavorful and great with rice.
- 8 oz pork, cut into strips (about 2-inch long, 1/8-inch wide)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon water
- 0.4 oz ginger, minced
- a small pinch of sea salt (I use 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 large King Oyster Mushroom, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (coco aminos if gluten free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- chili powder
- 1 green onion stalk, finely chopped
- Toss shredded pork with corn starch, water, minced ginger and sea salt, then set aside.
- While pork is marinating, cut the mushroom into strips.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over high heat and add marinated pork strips in. Sauté until the color of the pork turns to white. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Use the rest of the oil in the same pan to sauté mushroom strips for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add the pork back in, then add vinegar, dark soy sauce, sugar and a pinch of chili powder. Keep moving the strips with your spatula for a minute or until the sauce color is evenly spread. Don’t overcook.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with another pinch of chili powder and finely chopped green onion on top. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: pork with mushrooms
I smoked for 10 hrs and making sautéed shrooms with sourdough buns and Munster sliced was about the best pork delight I have had!
What a fantastic idea to turn it into a smoked pork recipe! That’s awesome to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience with this recipe, Cody! Cheers!
This recipe is perfect for my tastebuds. I tried it last night and it was awesome!
Looks amazing – and now I’m hungry! 🙂
haha…thanks Maria! Sometimes I make myself hungry too..:P