Make mashed potato salad healthier and more flavorful by adding a variety of fresh and crunchy vegetables. This recipe is gluten-free.
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Sea salt, to taste
- 4 ounces Garnet Yam, peeled and cut into the same size as quartered Yukon potatoes
- 1/4 cup carrot, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ham, finely chopped (omit the ham if vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more if needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare Mashed Potatoes: Place the Yukon potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. (Keep in mind that you’ll need enough water to cover and cook the yams or sweet potatoes later.) Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add sweet potatoes or yams into the saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until both potatoes and yams are soft when poked with a fork.
- Chop the Veggies: While potatoes and yams are simmering, chop all the veggies, ham, and tarragon and set aside.
- Put It All Together: Drain the potatoes and yams. Mash them all together in a large bowl. Add mayonnaise, ground black pepper, and all finely chopped ingredients into the same bowl. Combine until even.
- Serve: Add more sea salt or pepper if desired. Let the salad cool, then refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 105.5mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 12.1mg
Keywords: mashed potato salad