- Place Korean Red Chili Pepper Flakes Powder in a heat-proof container. For example, a glass measuring cup (as in the photos) will work.
- In a small saucepan, heat up olive oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until you see a tiny bit of smoke. Turn off the heat.
- Slowly and carefully pour the heated oil onto the pepper powder. It will immediately sizzle. Make sure the running oil touches the entire pepper surface until the pepper is completely covered in the oil. Stir and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer oil and pepper solids into a jar.
- If you want the hot oil only, let the pepper solids sit in the oil for a few hours, and then transfer the flavored oil into a jar. By then, the pepper solids are all at the bottom of the measuring cup and are very easy to discard.
- When heating up oil in a saucepan, make sure that the saucepan is completely dried. Any water in the pan will cause oil to explode. Be careful.
- This recipe yields around 1 1/4 cups hot chili oil.
- You can also cut down the ingredients to make a smaller portion.