A simple twist on a classic Italian meatball soup: this hearty soup recipe features easy-to-make meatballs, vegetables, cannelloni beans, and spinach, simmered in a collagen-rich beef bone broth.
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the soup:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 3 cups spinach, firmly packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Combine meatball ingredients in a large bowl and stir until blended. Use your hands and shape into 1-inch meatballs (about 20-25); wash hands.
- Heat up olive oil over medium-low heat in a large pot. Add meatballs (in batches) and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Turn and brown the meatballs. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat until the vegetables become soft.
- Stir in beans, beef bone broth, meatballs, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meatballs reach 160°F. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
The nutrition facts are calculated with Kettle & Fire Beef Bone Broth.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 598
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 777mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 52.5g
- Fiber: 12.3g
- Protein: 48.3g
- Cholesterol: 125.3mg
Keywords: meatball soup