Spice up the dinner table with this delicious cauliflower stir fry! Savory shiitake mushrooms, aromatic chili sauce, and fresh cauliflower all come together for a quick and easy meal that will have you and your family coming back for seconds.
For the Numbing Chili Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Doubanjiang (spicy fermented bean paste) or less as desired
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Cauliflower Stir Fry:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil such as sesame oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium head (about 1 1/4 pound) cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets and rinsed
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns (numbing peppers) or 1 teaspoon ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Make the numbing chili sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable stock, Shaoxing wine, tamari, Doubanjiang, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Cook the cauliflower: Heat oil in a large sautépan or wok over high heat. Add the cauliflower florets, spread them out, and let them char a bit, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in onion, garlic, and ginger until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shiitake: Add Szechuan peppercorn and shiitake mushrooms and stir fry for 1 minute or so.
- Pour in the sauce: Stir again to mix well until the vegetables are evenly coated. Cover the pan and let the cauliflower steam over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Every 2 minutes or so, check on the cauliflower’s doneness by piercing it with a fork.
- Garnish and serve: When the cooking is done, the cauliflower and shiitake will be glazed with the spicy sauce. Garnish with green onions and serve with rice, if you like.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 1585.6mg
- Fat: 22.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 12.5mg
Keywords: Cauliflower Stir Fry