These Chinese-inspired sous vide chicken drumsticks are addictive in their own right, with each bite of tender, juicy meat and crispy skin.
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks, skin on
- Salt and ground black pepper
- White sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnishing
For the Chinese sticky sauce:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Bird’s eye chili, chopped (optional)
- Preheat water to 155°F using Anova sous vide precision cooker.
- In the meantime, season chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper. Place chicken in a sous vide bag in one layer and seal using a vacuum sealer or a hand pump.
- Once the water is ready, slowly lower the chicken into the prepared water bath. Make sure the chicken drumsticks are completely under the water. Cook chicken for 2 hours.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the bag from the water bath and drop it into an ice bath to fully chill. (This step will help get extra-crispy skin when you sear it without overcooking the chicken underneath.)
- Remove the chicken from the sous vide bag and scrape off any gelled juices using your fingers. (You may preserve the chicken juice for soups or other uses).
- Pat the chicken with paper towels. Heat a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet over high heat on the stove, sear the chicken for 1-2 minutes on each skin side or until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, whisk all Chinese sauce ingredients over medium heat until well combined. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the chicken drumsticks and coat them with the Chinese sticky sauce. Dish and sprinkle with white sesame seeds and chopped green onions over. Enjoy!
- This cooking method works for any parts of a chicken, especially dark meat such as chicken thighs or even whole chicken legs. The sous vide cooking temperature and cooking time remain the same.
- If you’d like to cook chicken breast using this recipe, set temperature to 147°F and cook for 2 hours.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 579
- Sugar: 24.8g
- Sodium: 1230.7mg
- Fat: 32.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 37.5g
- Cholesterol: 184.3mg
Keywords: sous vide chicken drumsticks