This gluten-free Moroccan lamb stew is made in 5 easy steps, and the slow cooker does the rest. Loaded with authentic spices and flavors. Makes 6 servings.
For the lamb dry rub:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Moroccan lamb stew:
- 2 pounds leg of lamb, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can of chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium bowl, combine cumin, coriander, salt, fennel, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Toss lamb stew meat in the seasoning with your hands until the meat is evenly coated. Wash hands.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the lamb stew meat on all sides, turning occasionally. Work in batches if necessary. Transfer the lamb to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In the same pan, add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté onion and tomato paste together over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add white wine, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, scraping off the brown bits. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add chicken stock, apricots, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and lemon peel in the slow cooker. Give it a gentle stir. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in chickpeas 30 minutes before the lamb stew is done. When ready to serve, garnish with cilantro and serve over rice or couscous.
Please refer to the blog post for oven and stovetop methods to make this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 538
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 632.2mg
- Fat: 33.7g
- Saturated Fat: 11.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 34.8g
- Cholesterol: 103mg