Grilled tuna, red onions, bell peppers, pineapples and zucchini on skewers, these tuna kabobs are basted and served with an amazing pineapple glaze. Yum!
For the tuna marinade:
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut ominos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspices
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the kabobs:
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (20-oz) can pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice or 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
For the pineapple glaze:
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice (I used the juice from the can)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Combine all tuna marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree.
- Pour the marinade into a plastic bas and place tuna pieces in it. Seal and shake well. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In the meantime, Soak 12-15 wooden skewers in water for 2 hours. Then prepare for the vegetables.
- Remove tuna from the refrigerator and reserve the marinade for glaze in a small saucepan.
- Make the pineapple glaze by adding the glaze ingredients in the reserved tuna marinade. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to medium low, cook until the mixture is reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble the kabobs by threading a piece of onion, zucchini, pineapple, tuna, bell pepper or in an order that you prefer. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Heat grill to medium-high and grill the kabobs for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Brush the pineapple glaze often onto the kabobs as grilling. If you have any remaining glaze, serve with the kabobs. Enjoy!
If you would like extra tender vegetables, blanch the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper for 1-2 minutes before putting them onto the skewers. Recipe adapted from Food.com.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 12.1g
- Sodium: 215mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
Keywords: grilled tuna