- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3–4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken bone broth or chicken broth
- 6 cups mashed potatoes (fresh or leftover)
- 1 egg, beaten
- grated parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan until hot. Sauté carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in onions and garlic and sauté for a minute or two, then add ground beef. Season with salt and black pepper, add thyme, and cook until the meat mixture is browned; drain.
- Reduce to medium heat; add the butter and peas; stir until the butter is melted.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir until well blended.
- Add tomato paste, wine, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook until the beef mixture reduces slightly, then add the chicken bone broth. Allow the filling to thicken and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from heat. Transfer the filling to a lightly greased casserole dish; spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush the surface with the beaten egg and sprinkle with cheese if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the potato is golden brown. Enjoy!
- To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute 2 tablespoons cornstarch for the flour. Dissolve it in a little cold broth or water, then add the mixture at step 5.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 458
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 877.7mg
- Fat: 19.2g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 44.4g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Protein: 25.4g
- Cholesterol: 111.9mg