Authentic chicken tortilla soup made in a Fusion Cooker with homemade chicken broth and shredded chicken from the broth. No hassle, no babysitting, no waste. Set and forget for a hearty delicious soup!
I don’t even remember when I started making my own chicken broth. I just know that I have been doing it forever and I can never go back to those store-bought cartons anymore.
I usually discard all solids including the chicken meat after making a batch of chicken broth in a slow cooker for 12-18 hours. They go directly into my trash can. Dump and gone.
Couple months ago, I started saving the chicken meat for my friend’s dog Lucy. Since my friend is a vegetarian and I have chicken meat or beef meat from some neck bones to discard every week due to broth making, I automatically become that dog’s meat supplier. Lucy’s mom feeds her good dog food, I provide treats, almost infinitely.
So one day, I made chicken broth. Instead of dumping everything into the trash can, I put my hands in there to remove the chicken bones for Lucy. For your information, I always use chicken thighs with skin on and bone in for my chicken broth. The bones were off by just a gentle touch. That was expected. What’s not expected was that the chicken meat wasn’t as dry as I thought it would be. So I decided to save half of the meat for shredded chicken.
The first thing came into my mind when I looked at the shredded chicken and a gigantic batch of chicken broth was chicken tortilla soup. I had the main ingredients on hand already. All I need was tomatoes, onions, and cilantro to make a soup base, and some frozen vegetable mix. Check. Tortilla chips. Check. Oh, I even had two avocados. Great!
Then, this Fusion Cooker version chicken tortilla soup happened. Compare to the one I made on the stove, there was no babysitting involved. No stirring, no checking, no changing the heat, only set and forget.
P.S. If you are interested in getting to know more about the Fusion Cooker, we have a Facebook group that gives you all the information you need and answers all your questions. You can join here. It’s free. 🙂Print
Fusion Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Authentic chicken tortilla soup made in a Fusion Cooker with homemade chicken broth and shredded chicken from the broth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Main, Soup, Gluten Free
- Method: Fusion Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 cups frozen carrots and peas
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce or your desired hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
For the soup base:
- 8–10 Roma tomatoes or 1 (32-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white onion, roughly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro, firmly packed
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt to taste
For the topping:
- 2 cups tortilla chips, crushed and divided (Use corn chips for a gluten-free version)
- 2 avocados, sliced and divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- cilantro for garnishing
- Lime or lemon wedges for serving
- Make the soup base by placing tomatoes into a food processor or blender with roughly sliced onion, cilantro and garlic. Add chicken broth and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup base in the waterless pot of a Fusion Cooker, add zucchini, frozen carrots and peas, and onions.
- Cover with the glass lid and select the “soup” mode and press “start”.
- 10 minutes before the soup is done, the Fusion Cooker will remind you with a series of gentle beeping sound, about an hour. Stir in shredded chicken and hot sauce if using. Let it finish cooking.
- Dish. Top with tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheddar cheese, cilantro for each serving. Squeeze a dash of fresh lime or lemon juice. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 562
- Sugar: 12.5g
- Sodium: 714mg
- Fat: 32.7g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3g
- Fiber: 13.2g
- Protein: 36.2g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup
*The nutrition facts are calculated based on 4 servings.