“Hi Mr.Chang! This is xxx Hospital. Your wife is about to give birth to your child. Please come here as soon as possible!”
“My wife is due in two weeks. Don’t try to fool me on April Fools’ Day. It’s not funny! Okay?! Bye!” Mr.Chang hung up the phone as soon as he finished his sentence.
His phone rang again.
“Mr.Chang! Please listen to me.” The nurse raised her voice. “Your wife is having your baby NOW! I am NOT kidding. Please come as fast as you can!”
In the meantime, Mr. Chang heard a familiar voice screaming from the background, “Get your ass over here NOW!!”
“Mr.Chang? Are you there?”
“Really? For real?” He was still skeptical.
“YES! FOR REAL!” The nurse raised her voice even higher.
“Okay! I am on my way!”
The baby boy decided not to wait for another two weeks. He picked a special day, April 1st, to come explore the world. Apparently, first thing he did in his life was to play a joke with his dad. Guess who this naughty kid is? That’s my Han, the person who I happily share my life with. (By the way, his birthday story is totally true. I can’t make stuff like that up, even though today is April Fools’ Day.)
Since Han’s all time favorite fruit is blueberry and I simply can’t resist chocolate, this Blueberry Chocolate Cake was put together to celebrate Han’s 28th birthday. Perfect match, right? 😛 Because it’s so simple to make and it’s so freaking delicious, I am extremely excited to share the recipe with you!
Let’s deconstruct the cake to see how each ingredient works together.
For the cake, I would recommend to use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour for a light and airy structure, which goes great with the homemade frosting. This article explains the difference between the two types of flours in great detail.
Other essential ingredients are butter, milk, eggs, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and bittersweet chocolate chips. (YES! YES!) All you need to do is to mix everything and prepare your cake pans. Your oven takes care of the rest.
Now, move onto the frosting. Oh, you are going to thank me for this one! Why? Because we are going to add blueberry syrup and a good amount of Rum into a smooth mixture of cream cheese and butter. YES, RUM! (You are welcome!) After thickening it up by mixing with some powdered sugar, you will have an extraordinary frosting for this particular cake. Plus, it’s a great frosting option for any of your homemade cake.
No no no, our alcohol action is not done yet. Drop some more Rum in blueberry syrup. Spread the goodies on each layer of your cake before frosting to lock down the Rum flavor into this cake even more! I don’t know about you, but I am finally satisfied now.
For April Fools’ Day, my dear friend, Blueberry Chocolate Cake! CHEERS!!!
P.S. Happy Birthday, my love! XOXOXOPrint
Blueberry Chocolate Cake
- Yield: A 6-inch square cake
- Category: Desserts
For the cake
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Rum
- 1 tablespoon blueberry syrup
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
For Rum syrup
- 2 teaspoons Rum
- 1 tablespoon blueberry syrup
- fresh blueberries
- cocoa powder
- a pinch of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix milk, butter, chocolate chips and sugar in a large bowl. Microwave for 0.5-1 minute until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved well.
- Add egg, cake flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder to the chocolate mixture. Stir vigorously until smooth.
- Prepare your cake pans. Divide cake mixture evenly into 3 6″x6″x2″ prepared square cake pans.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let the cake cool.
- While the cake is in the oven, make the frosting. Mix softened butter, cream cheese, blueberry syrup and Rum until smooth. Add powdered sugar and stir until creamy.
- To prepare Rum syrup, simply mix Rum and blueberry syrup in a small bowl.
- Place one layer of cake on a desired serving plate. Use a bread knife to cut the extra part if your cake is not flat.
- Apply Rum syrup on the cake by brushing it with a pastry brush.
- Spread a thick layer of frosting on the cake evenly.
- Gently place the second layer of cake on top and repeat step 9 and step 10.
- Do the same with the third layer of cake. If you want your cake to look a little fancy, before frosting the top layer, scoop the rest of the frosting into a Ziploc bag; press all air out, seal and cut a small hole at the corner end. Now it’s time to call for your creativity. Do whatever you want with the last step of frosting. (This is optional.)
- Sprinkle the frosted cake with cocoa powder; garnish with fresh blueberries; sprinkle a dash powdered sugar onto the blueberries. Serve!
Keywords: Blueberry Chocolate Cake
*The frosting recipe is adapted from Food.com