It was after a hotpot dinner with our homies (something we do at least once a month). A bottle of Ponzu sauce showed up in my kitchen the next day. The exact kind that I was using as a dipping sauce throughout the entire hotpot dinner. I have to admit that the amount of Ponzu sauce I consumed was a little absurd, which was probably why homie picked up a bottle for me.
Shortly after then, this 6-ingredient Basil Mushroom With Ponzu accidentally happened. After eating it three times a week and still asking for more, Han said to me, “I think you should definitely share this with your readers!”
So here it is – a very simple and yummy dish takes only 10 minutes to make with Ponzu as the main cooking sauce. Wondering how it taste like? Let’s break stuff down.
With an earthy and nutty taste, white mushrooms leave us a light and tender texture when cooked.
Then we allow the mushrooms to absorb the citrus seasoned soy sauce composed with nature lemon juice and natural orange flavors, but without the salty taste from regular soy sauce.
Next, basil! Oh my! Basil just magically brings a fresh taste to whatever it touches.
Finish it up with brown sugar and a pinch of salt to bring some extra flavor. It tastes AWESOME!
Roughly quartering mushrooms is all you need to do for preparation. If you get small mushrooms, skip this step. Also, it takes very little time to cook mushrooms. Therefore, you can easily turn it into a quick breakfast! It’s super YUM AND HEALTHY!
How? Scrabble some eggs and pair with this dish. The sauce flavors the eggs perfectly. Drizzling with a little Sriracha if you like some heat.
I hope you enjoy this Basil Mushroom With Ponzu as much as we did. Here comes to the recipe. Happy Tuesday, my friends!Print
Table of Contents
Basil Mushroom With Ponzu
- Category: Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb whole white mushroom, quartered
- 3 tablespoons Ponzu (mine is Mitsukan Ponzu Citrus Seasoned Soy Sauce by Mizkan)
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- In a large sauté pan, heat up vegetable oil over high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes or until mushrooms start turning lightly dark.
- Add Ponzu sauce and brown sugar. Keep moving the mushrooms around in the pan with your spatula for another minute.
- Now, quickly stir in basil leaves until evenly spread out.
- Dish and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 3-4
Keywords: mushroom with ponzu